Inspired by creamy turkey and wild rice soup recipes, this vegetarian mushroom soup recipe is a whole lot lighter and gets a rich flavor boost from caramelized leeks. Serve with a green salad with sherry vinaigrette and crusty bread to sop up any bits left in the bowl – from AARP.
A Healthy Recipe
Prep/Cook Time: 1:50 Hours, Servings: 6
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups sliced leeks (4-6 medium leeks)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups mushroom broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, occasionally stirring, until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, often stirring, until the leeks are golden brown and very tender, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Add sherry and cook, often stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and celery and cook, frequently stirring, until the mushroom liquid evaporates, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add broth, water, and rice; cover and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, occasionally stirring, until the rice is tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Season with pepper and salt and serve each portion topped with 1 tablespoon each sour cream and almonds.
Per Serving: 309 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 749 mg potassium
Eating well & exercise, a healthy combination!
If you are looking for help in creating your own healthy habits, check out our 21-Day Longevity and Strength Program? We will help you extend the length and quality of your life by restoring your strength, improving your balance, and reducing your joint pain.