It’s funny how events, and a little time, can enrich our perspective – like how much the pandemic has changed the way the world thinks about healthy living, especially for people over 50.
You could say we’re more aware than ever of the relationship between lifestyle habits and remaining safe from diseases. At least, we hope.
And lately, at least, you could say that more people are returning to gyms and fitness studios after spending a lot of time at home and, too often, largely inactive.
And those are all good things. So let’s be thankful for them – and also for these 15 facts about fitness over 50. What else can you think of? After all, perspective is a key component of gratitude!
- You’re never too old to start exercising and see immediate health benefits – for your body, brain, and spirit.
- Over-50 fitness is a growing trend in the industry worldwide, as more gyms, studios, manufacturers, and “thought leaders” continue to see the economic power of “older” people wanting to stay healthy.
- You can exercise anywhere – with a lot of equipment, with a few items, or with nothing but your body and some motivation.
- Consistency is key to success, and it’s liberating to accept this truth – rather than always chasing instant results or miracle cures and berating yourself when you fall short some days.
- We can enjoy occasional, big meals more when we’re practicing healthy lifestyles consistently. But, of course, that doesn’t mean we get to eat more food at them – just that we’re allowed moderate indulgences when we are regularly exercising and eating right.
- We sleep better when we exercise regularly. And is there anything better than sleeping well?
- Exercise lowers stress, high blood pressure, cholesterol, risk of diabetes, and obesity – just for starters.
- It keeps us stronger when we come down with illnesses, and it helps us recover from surgeries and other setbacks.
- Exercise is good for brain health, improving memory and mood, and lowering the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Staying fit and eating right are the best defenses against heart disease, the No. 1 killer in the United States and many other countries.
- According to the British Telegraph, weightlifting has a greater effect than running, walking, or cycling on lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Exercise is a miracle drug. It’s good for your bones, muscles, balance, heart, mental health, and sleep.
- Fit folks are better lovers at any age.
- Your grandkids will want to play with you more when you’re ABLE to play more.
- As the world opens up after the pandemic, we’re all going to want to travel more freely than we’ve been able to lately. And travel takes strength, stamina, and flexibility. In other words – fitness!
Enjoy the holidays, other big events, and daily life as much as possible. Offer thanks. And give love – to everyone, including yourself.
We’re here to help you do that with safe, fun, and effective guidance to help you feel better, look better, and move better!
We’ve helped hundreds of 50+ men and women just like you to achieve their desired goals. If you want to see how we can help YOU to do the same: be sure to join our 21-Day Longevity and Strength program. Our certified Functional Aging Specialists will help you extend the length and quality of your life by restoring your strength, improving your balance, and reducing your joint pain.