A bowl of this homemade soup is a wonderful meal to enjoy during the holidays. It’s low carb and filled with protein and veggies to power your day and curb your cravings. Best of all it’s made in the slow cooker, so preparation is quick and easy.
Most tortilla soup recipes contain ingredients that are high in carbs, like tortilla strips and rice. In this recipe, I’ve removed these ingredients and filled in the gaps with high fiber cauliflower rice. What’s great is that you get all of the tortilla soup flavors that you love without the extra calories.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
- 2 organic, free-range chicken breasts
- 1 (28oz) can dice, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4oz) can green chiles, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded
- 32 oz organic, free-range chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- dash of sea salt and pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados
- Tajin seasoning for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the cilantro, avocado, and tajin, in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker. Shred with a fork and then return to the slow cooker.
- Garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of cilantro, a few slices of avocado and a dash of tajin. Enjoy!
One serving equals 153 calories, 6g fat, 321mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, and 10g protein.