Craving pizza? Here’s a quick pizza recipe that is sure to satisfy even the strongest of pizza cravings. But don’t worry, this pizza is low carb and guilt-free so you can work it into your weekly meal plan.
The simple technique used to reduce the carbs and the guilt of this pizza is to replace the traditional (flour-based) crust with a protein-rich, egg-based crust. By cooking the egg crust in a skillet and then transferring it to the oven it’s possible to create a crust that results in strong-enough-to-hold slices that the whole family will love!
What you need
- 8 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons half and half
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup chunky tomato salsa
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, half and half, sea salt and black pepper.
2. Over medium-high heat, generously grease a large oven-safe skillet with olive oil. Once the skillet is hot, pour in the egg mixture. Leave the eggs, untouched, for 3 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully lift one edge of the egg, then tilt the pan so that the remaining liquid egg on top runs under it. Do this in two places then allow the egg to sit for another 3 minutes.
3. Place the skillet in the oven for 3 minutes. The egg crust will puff slightly and soft eggs on the top will firm. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven (the handle will be hot) and spread with the salsa. Top with the beans, bell pepper, and cheese. Return to the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
4. Remove the pizza from the oven, sprinkle with cilantro, slice and enjoy!
One serving equals 246 calories, 10g fat, 18g carbohydrate, 143mg sodium, 7g fiber, and 18g protein