Healthy Recipe, Cornbread
This cornbread is free of oil, sugar, and cholesterol (what you’d find in many cornbread recipes), but full of classic, delicious cornbread flavor. From the Pritkin Longevity Center and Spa.
- 1 pound cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour (stoneground whole-wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg ground
- 2 teaspoons Splenda optional
- 5 cups milk soy or skim
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (cornmeal through Splenda) and mix well. Make a hole in the center and pour in the milk and vanilla. Use a wire whisk to gently mix in the liquids, using a circular motion.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until fluffy. Pour into mixture and mix in.
- Pour mixture into muffin cups or cake tin, and bake in a hot water bath* at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- * To prepare a water bath for baking, put your filled muffin trays or cake tin in a larger pan and add enough boiling-hot water to reach halfway up the side of the smaller pan.
Serving: 1 Piece, 210 calories, 38g carbohydrates, 11g protein 1g fat, 2mg cholesterol, 1.6g fiber, 6g sugar. (Conducted by Spa Index Kitchen)