This tasty wrap is chock-full of yummy beans and vegetables and a great source of fiber. From the National Institute of Health’s “Delicious Heart Healthy Latino Recipes.”
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 medium yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 avocado, peeled and diced
juice from 1 lime
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
1 cup fat-free sour cream
4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
8 tablespoons pico de gallo (See separate recipe card for details.)
- In a nonstick pan, sauté the peppers and onion in the canola oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add beans, stir well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, then set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and chili powder. Reserve half of the mixture for topping.
- Add sour cream to beans and mix well.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
- Fill a warmed tortilla with 1/4 bean mixture and 1/4 avocado mixture. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of salsa over the bean and avocado mixture.
- Fold ends of the tortilla over. Roll up to make wraps. Top the veggie wraps with the remaining avocado mixture. Follow this process for three other wraps.
Yield 4 servings, Serving Size 1 wrap
Calories 367, Total Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 318mg, Total Fiber 14g, Protein 16g, Carbohydrates 66g, Potassium 976mg