Sautéed onion, mushrooms, and garlic infuse the broth of this vegan minestrone with rich, savory flavor, while fork-tender potatoes, kale, and white beans add a satisfying mix of textures. From Knives over Forks.
- 1½ lb. russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups finely chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium. Add the first five ingredients (through oregano). Cook 10 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally.
Add vegetable stock and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in kale and beans; cook until kale has wilted. Remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.