Occupation: Founder and Co-Owner of YPB
Certifications: Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Functional Aging Specialist and AHA CPR Certified
How long have you lived in Corpus Christi?
Since 1980 or Hurricane Allen
Are you married?
Oh yeah! To my best friend, John Wills
- What is your favorite healthy meal? Eggs, avocado, kale, all with a drizzle of olive oil and some red pepper flakes
- What is your favorite “free day” food? Ice cream from my kid’s ice cream shop in Wimberley, TX called Monster Treats. I get a “baby monster” of Tres Leches, delicious!
- Favorite benefit of this healthier lifestyle. No drugs or meds of any kind. I don’t even have a regular Dr. My doctor clients will ask me, “What do YOU need a doctor for?” I do have a female doctor; this is probably TMI!
- Why do you exercise? It’s my drug of choice. I was diagnosed with anxiety and a panic disorder in my mid 30s. A daily dose of good ‘ole exercise helps with the serotonin uptake and keeps me off of meds. I don’t “feel good” when I don’t exercise daily.
- Toughest eating obstacle to overcome? When I start eating sugar, I crave sugar. I also discovered that I love chewing! Once a month, I detox from chewing for 60 hours, and it helps me keep a presence of mind regarding the difference between being truly hungry and just addicted to chewing.
- Current exercise routine. 30 + minutes 5-6 days per week. M/W/F Functional Fitness Training w/Karen King at 5:15 am. T/Th, same time, she and I do CrossRope. A cross between Jumping Rope, Mini Trampoline, and Functional Fitness. On Saturdays, you might find me on my road bike, running in an event, or taking long beach walks with a girlfriend or two or my dog Ping.
- What is your most embarrassing exercising moment? I was doing heavy BB Bicep curls back in my late 30’s, early 40’s and wearing a pair of drawstring exercise pants. I asked my partner to take the bar because I just couldn’t lift anymore, and their finger got caught in my drawstring, and my pants came untied and almost fell off in front of a bunch of bodybuilder friends in a Big Box Gym. Jeeze, I couldn’t get rid of those pants fast enough!
- What do you think is the best benefit of exercising and eating right? As I age, if I have to pick just one, it would be for the Brain Health Benefits. Having lost a father to the disease of Dementia, I know that if I keep on exercising, this will not be an issue for me. Secondly, it keeps me fluidly moving even though I am already experiencing some arthritis and stiffness at 61.