Occupation: Co-owner and Director of Operations at YPB
Certifications: Functional Aging Specialist, AHA CPR Certified
How long have you lived in Corpus Christi?
Since 1980 or Hurricane Allen
Are you married?
Oh yeah! To my best friend, John Wills
- What is your favorite healthy meal? Eggs, avocado, kale, all with a drizzle of olive oil and some red pepper flakes
- What is your favorite “free day” food? Ice cream from my kid’s ice cream shop in Wimberley, TX called Monster Treats. I get a “baby monster” of Tres Leches, delicious!
- Favorite benefit of this healthier lifestyle. No drugs or meds of any kind. I don’t even have a regular Dr. My doctor clients will ask me, “What do YOU need a doctor for?” I do have a standard female doctor; that’s probably TMI!
- Why do you exercise? It’s my drug of choice. I was diagnosed with anxiety and a panic disorder. A daily dose of good ‘ole exercise helps with the serotonin uptake and keeps me off of meds. I don’t feel good when I don’t exercise daily.
- Toughest eating obstacle to overcome? When I start eating sugar, I crave sugar. I also discovered that I love chewing! Once a month, I detox from chewing for 60 hours, and it helps me keep a presence of mind regarding the difference between being truly hungry and just addicted to chewing.
- Current exercise routine. 30 + minutes 5-6 days per week. M/W/F Functional Fitness Training w/Karen King at 5:15 am. T/Th, same time, she and I do CrossRope. A cross between Jumping Rope, Mini Trampoline, and Functional Fitness. On Saturdays, you might find me on my road bike, running in an event, or taking long beach walks with a girlfriend or two.
- What is your most embarrassing exercising moment? I was doing heavy BB Bicep curls back in my late 30’s, early 40’s and wearing a pair of drawstring exercise pants. I asked my partner to take the bar because I just couldn’t lift anymore, and their finger got caught in my drawstring, and my pants came untied and almost fell off in front of a bunch of bodybuilder friends in a Big Box Gym.
- What do you think is the best benefit of exercising and eating right? As I age, if I have to pick just one, it would be for the Brain Health Benefits. Having lost a father to the disease of Dementia, I know that if I keep on exercising, this will not be an issue for me. Secondly, it keeps me fluidly moving even though I am already experiencing some arthritis and stiffness at 60.