Here’s a delicious new take on chicken salad. The chicken is poached in white wine to be tender and flavorful. Find fresh greens and an assortment of colorful veggies to add to your mixture, don’t limit yourself to the ingredients listed below.
Something magical happens when you poach chicken in wine and then serve it over a bed of vibrant produce, try it and see!
What you need
For the Wine-Poached Chicken
- 2 – quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 4 – cups white wine
- 2 – yellow onions, halved
- 4 – cloves Garlic, smashed
- 3 – sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 – boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Pomegranate Mixed Greens Salad
- 6 – cups Mixed Greens
- ½ – cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- 3 – tablespoons roasted, salted pepitas
- ½ – cup jicama, peeled and chopped
- 2 – avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
- Classic Balsamic Dressing
1. Place the broth, wine, onions, garlic, and thyme in a large pot over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then gently add the chicken breasts one at a time. Thoroughly cover the chicken by the liquid, add more broth if needed. Return to a boil.
2. Once the liquid boils, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Allow the chicken to poach for 30 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and onions from the liquid. Once cool enough to handle, shred the chicken and slice the onions. Combine the chicken and onion in a bowl and generously season with freshly cracked sea salt and black pepper.
3. On each salad plate arrange a bed of mixed greens and top with pomegranate seeds, pepitas, jicama, avocado and a scoop of the chicken. Drizzle with Classic Balsamic Dressing and serve immediately. The chicken will keep up to 3 days in the fridge. Enjoy!
One serving equals 394 calories, 18g fat, 143mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 4g sugar, and 44g protein