Here’s a unique new salad recipe to try, that’s far from ordinary. With cabbage, green olives, chickpeas, quinoa, and a lemony dressing, this salad satisfies! It’s fantastic as a meal all on its own, or to be served with a more substantial meal.
Many elements of this salad stand out, most notably the green olives. With a creamy feel and smooth taste, these olives are a perfect pair with the lemony dressing. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself making this salad time and time again – and sharing with your friends and family. Enjoy!
What you need
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup red quinoa rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ head Savoy cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 ounces pitted large green olives, such as Castelvetrano or Cerinola, halved (about a ¾ cup)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa and ½ teaspoon salt, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover, raise temperature to be high, and cook until water evaporates and quinoa is dry and tender about 5 minutes (frequently stir to prevent scorching)
2. Heat 1 Tablespoon oil, cabbage, 1 teaspoon salt in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and cook occasionally stirring, until tender and golden brown in places, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add remaining oil to skillet. Return sautéed cabbage to skillet, add quinoa and raise heat to high. Cook, occasionally stirring, until quinoa is toasted and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chickpeas, olives, and lemon zest and juice, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, enjoy!
One serving equals 107 calories, 5g fat, 401mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 3g protein.