Dinner is the meal that can get out of hand with extra calories and fattening sides. Do yourself a favor by making dinner at home as often as you can. This simple move, from eating out to eating at home, is half of the battle when it comes to keeping your calories reeled in during the evening hours.
Now, while making dinner at home it’s easy to fall into a boring routine, so have fun with this Southwest Chicken recipe! It’s full of robust flavors meant to wake up your taste buds and to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
Serve this flavorful Southwest Chicken with a heaping side of dark leafy greens. This is the epitome of a meal focused on protein and fiber. It’s meals like this that will melt off body fat and improve your health and fitness. Enjoy!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What You Need
- 2 lbs organic chicken breast
- Dash of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 Tablespoon chili in adobo sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry. Butterfly cut the chicken, opening each breast up like a book. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a baking pan and set aside in the fridge as you prepare the sauce.
- Place the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Use a hand blender to puree the sauce until smooth.
- Coat the chicken with half of the sauce and marinate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover the chicken with foil and bake chicken for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve warm with a spoonful of the reserved sauce. Enjoy!
One serving equals 304 calories, 17g fat, 336mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, and 18g protein.