If you’re looking for a homemade side to go with some grilled meat then this is a wonderful recipe to try. It’s filled with wholesome carbs, fiber and loads of real food nutrition.
This recipe is a great way to enjoy protein-filled quinoa. Winter squash combined with celery, onion, and parsley makes a healthy and comforting side dish.
What You Need
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- Four carrots, diced
- 2 cups diced squash, butternut or any other fall or winter squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- One Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- dash of freshly ground sea salt
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 sprigs of parsley, finely minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the onions, celery, carrots, and squash in a large bowl. Mix in the oil and syrup, then sprinkle the salt and lemon zest. Mix until well combined and then place on a shallow baking dish. Cover the dish and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes remove the cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are in the oven, put the quinoa and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for about 25 minutes over low heat, until the water is absorbed.
- Combine the vegetables and cooked quinoa together with the lemon juice and parsley. Serve warm or chilled.
One serving equals 95 calories, 1g fat, 19g carbohydrate, 2.5g fiber, and 4g protein.