This soup is filled with nutritious ingredients like fresh kale and pinto beans which lend savory flavors and wholesome fiber. Swapping out a heavy meal with a light cup of this homemade soup is a fantastic way to reduce your overall calories for the day and to help you make progress towards your fitness goal.
What You Need
- 1 cup dried pinto beans
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 bouillon cubes
- dash of freshly ground sea salt
- dash of freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed between your fingers
- 5 large carrots, diced
- 2 bunches kale, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the beans and cook for 60-90 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In your soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans, water, bouillon, salt, pepper, bay leaves, rosemary, and carrots. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the kale and cook another 15 minutes or until kale is tender. Add more water if needed.
- Remove the bay leaves, add more salt and pepper if needed.
One serving equals: 112 calories, 2g fat, 20g carbohydrate, 7.3g fiber, and 6g protein.