For a light but tasty summer side, the basil pairs perfectly with watermelon, and jalapeno gives it a spicy kick.
- 8 cups cubed watermelon (½-inch pieces)
- 1 cup cubed peeled jicama (½-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, deveined and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon sliced scallion, white and pale green parts only
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Combine the watermelon and jicama in a large bowl. Add the lime zest. Stir in the jalapeno, chives, scallion, cilantro, and basil. Mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the lime juice, lemon juice, and olive oil until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle over the watermelon-jicama mixture toss in the Cotija cheese check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
From The Food Network