There are few things as smile-inducing in life as a chocolate chip cookie…in any form. The form we are enjoying today is that of cookie dough balls! These moist, yummy, cookie dough balls are the perfect quick energy snack to pop into your mouth in the middle of a busy afternoon. Just don’t be surprised when you find yourself smiling from ear to ear!
What makes these cookie dough balls a healthy source of energy rather than a fattening treat? The ingredients that we are using, of course! Whole oats, natural peanut butter and high quality protein powder create a trifecta of wholesome, complex carbs, usable protein and satiating, good-for-you fat. Also important is the distinct lack of simple sugars that you’d find in traditional cookies. Enjoy!
What you need
- 2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup of ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder (about 2/3 cup)
- 20 drops liquid stevia OR ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup of natural peanut butter (no sugar added – just peanuts and salt)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup water (or coffee for a caffeine boost!)
- ½ cup of stevia-sweetened chocolate chips
- sprinkle of sea salt
- Place the rolled oats, ground flax seed, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder, stevia, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and water (or coffee) in a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are blended.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Note: the mixture will appear crumbly, but once you press it together it will stick.
- Form the energy bite mixture into 1″ balls and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Cover and place in refrigerator for 2 hours. Enjoy!
One serving equals 100 calories, 6g fat, 8g carbohydrate, 1g sugar, 46mg sodium, 3g fiber, and 5g protein.