Homemade soup is a wonderful way to enjoy healthy, quick meals at home. This recipe for Sausage and Cabbage Comfort Soup is packed with wholesome fiber from fresh vegetables and protein from sausage.
Make a big pot on the weekend and then reheat bowls throughout the week for fast, nutritious meals that will keep you on track with your fitness goals.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
- 1 ½ pounds mild Italian sausage, loose
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼” rounds
- 1 head green cabbage, core removed and shredded
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (plus more as needed)
- fresh ground black pepper (about 5 cracks)
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- Brown the sausage at the bottom of a large soup pot over medium high heat, breaking it into small pieces as it browns. Remove the cooked sausage from the pot and set aside in a bowl, leaving the oil from the sausage in the pot.
- Add the onions, garlic and carrots to the pot with the hot oil. Continue to cook over medium high heat, stirring often as the veggies become tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and tomatoes, and continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring the soup to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste and serve hot. Enjoy!
One serving equals 116 calories, 7g fat, 7g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 6g protein.