It’s important to start your day off right, and to do so you’ll need to steer clear of traditional breakfasts.
Most popular breakfast foods are filled with grains and sugar. Think about it, there’s cereal, donuts, pastries, pancakes, waffles, and the list goes on. These breakfast foods are a fast-track to weight gain.
Instead of a breakfast that’s high in sugar, I’d like to see you fill up on protein and veggies in the morning. Yes, protein and veggies are wonderful for breakfast! Eating like this will help you achieve your fitness goals quicker and will give you loads of natural energy to carry you through your day.
This breakfast skillet has chorizo, eggs and arugula – but feel free to also experiment with other combinations of protein and veggies in your breakfast skillet. Enjoy!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What You Need
- 2 links chorizo, casing removed
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup arugula
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the chorizo links in a medium, oven-proof, skillet over low heat. Cook until all sides of the chorizo are browned. Periodically deglaze the pan with water. Allow the chorizo to cool, remove it from the skillet, and then slice each link into 10 pieces.
- Sauté the onion in the leftover chorizo fat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes to the skillet. Arrange the halved cherry tomatoes and slices of chorizo around the edge of the skillet. Use a spoon to create four 2-inch wells in the tomato and egg mixture. Crack each egg into a ramekin and gently pour one egg into each well.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the eggs are set. Top with fresh arugula and season with sea salt and black pepper. Enjoy!
One serving equals 289 calories, 20g fat, 8g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 17g protein.