Laughing more may be good for your physical health and we do love to laugh at Your Personal Best Training Studio.
We’ve all heard that laughter is the best medicine, but you may not know this: Negative emotions can increase *blood-sugar levels, while positive emotions–expressed through laughter–can have a beneficial effect on **immune function and overall hormonal environment.
In a recent study supporting this idea, researchers sought to determine the effect of laughter on blood-sugar levels in both healthy people and type 2 diabetics. Test subjects listened to a boring lecture on one day and a comedy show the next. Following the comedy routine, type 2 diabetics showed a significant decrease in their typically elevated blood-sugar levels.
Researchers suggested this could be the result of more muscle being used during laughter, which would require glucose uptake for energy, or of the positive emotional state affecting the hormonal environment such as reducing the abnormally high blood-sugar levels. So go ahead and laugh more: It may be good for your physical and emotional health.
- Laughter is good for your health.
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
“Like” us on Facebook and receive a 1/2 OFF Coupon for a Body Composition and Fitness Analysis!